Opening song: “Rainbow in the Dark” by Dio, from the Very Best of Dio album
Songs in the Middle: The “Real Otaku Heros” songs are by Le Jizm, and the complete set of them is available for download here.
“Sakura kiss” by Chieko Kawabe is the opening theme of Ouran High School Host Club
End Song: “Rose” by Tsuchiya Anna, the opening theme of the Nana anime series.
Why Dio? We were inspired by this video, which aired during the VH1 top 40 metal songs of all time countdown (Spoiler: #1 was “Iron Man”.) We here at the NC podcast think that the creature on the cover of the Beast of Dio album looks like the demon locked inside Naruto. Also Dio is the villain in JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure.
- Apples to Apples For the record, Noah does not like this game very much.
- Our new microphone – despite now having two mics it sounds like we’re underwater because of an inexplicable static I had to filter out of the show. Let this be a lesson to you: Always do some test recordings, don’t just plug the headphones into the mixer like we did.
- Hana Matsuri cherry blossom festival in Brooklyn’s Botanical garden.
- Nana, first published in Cookie, is currently running in the U.S. in Shojo Beat magazine ($35 a year! Wooo!) and the first three volumes are available under Viz’s Shojo Beat line.
- The Nana Live Action movie is only available fansubbed, we recommend the version by Live-Evil.
- The Nana anime is available on fansub. We’ve been watching the Live-Evil subs version, but several other groups also subbing it.
- The Nanas are 18/19 years old at the start of the story, not 20-23 like I said in the show.
- Nittle Grasper – This is a fictional band from Gravitation, people! Noah likes the name of the band and does not really like Gravitation.
- MacDonald Duck Eclair – I have yet to buy one of their CDs.
- Noah actually liked Happy Mania, which I reviewed in this episode of Manga Recon.
- Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga. Buy it. Read it. Love it. But probably not if you’re under 16.
- The Peach Girl the anime is fansubbed, and the manga is available from Tokyopop.
- “The System is down… dancing Robots” is from somewhere on Homestar Runner, but we like it best in suberunker’s “Football!” AMV.
- Brief mention of Boys Before Flowers a.k.a. Boys Over Blossoms
- Nana is by Ai Yazawa the author of Paradise Kiss, which is available from Tokyopop and the 12-episode anime series was fansubbed last year. I wouldn’t be surprised if it got licensed this year.
- Noah quote: “…your wife left you and your dog beat you and your life was on fire…”
- The Track-Shun Show (or on iTunes here.)
- Pretty Cure Max Heart
- Kino’s Journeys
- Ouran High School Host Club, as I reviewed in Manga Recon episode 1, volumes 1-6 currently available under the Shojo Beat label, the anime is now being fansubbed by at least three groups. We’ve been watching the Lunar subs.
- You thought Utena had a bunch of roses in it?
- Otaku Generation reviewed Host Club in episode 46.
- Rose of Versailles is available on fansub
- Digital Manga publishing. Not just yaoi, but really a lot of yaoi. Robot is one of their non-yaoi titles.
- DR Master sent me a big box of manga, too.
- The MangaCast has several DMP reviews of yaoi already up.
Write in to us with a list of your favorite shows if you want to know what we think of them! We’ll add them to the list of “Ninja Consultant Approved and Disapproved Titles”.